Student Academic Specialist Duties and Responsibilities
Purpose of Classification:
in academic advising as a supplement to or in coordination with
assigned academic advisors. Evaluates academic transcripts for
transferability of credit and graduation requirements. Assists with
student recruitment and orientation. Maintains comprehensive records
on all students enrolled in program(s).
a specialized classification and not part of a series and is
distinguished from the Credentials Evaluator and Academic Advisor
series in that incumbents perform a combination of duties including
credentials evaluating, academic advising and/or student
Examples of Duties:
- Assists with undergraduate recruitment activities including
high school and community college visitations, participation in
career expos, presentations to private and campus organizations
and conducting workshops.
- Provides general assistance and information to students, the
general public and departments; confers with potential transfer
students regarding transferability of credits and admissions
- Interviews, advises and communicates with students regarding
academic and curricular problems, and proposed program of study,
including sequence and pattern of courses to be taken, which
semester, balance and logic of courses, elective recommendations
and procedural items; interprets and explains college,
department and university policies; refers students to
specialized counseling sources and/or to faculty or academic
- Determines eligibility and prepares degree candidates'
programs of study for fulfillment of graduation requirements as
specified in the various university catalogues.
- Maintains up-to-date reference documents such as university
catalogs and handbooks.
- Maintains comprehensive records on undergraduate and
graduate students enrolled in degree programs, and on applicants
or prospective students for programs; consolidates or summarizes
undergraduate records for portfolio.
- Assists students with completion of forms and documents and
informs them of pertinent procedures and requirements.
- Collaborates with students and advising units regarding
problems; consults with faculty for clarification of
- Determines language proficiency of applicant; coordinates
proficiency testing and follows up with university testing
service to verify test score.
- Checks and approves various forms for accuracy such as grade
changes, curriculum changes and petitions for curriculum
- Provides information and statistical data for various
reports as requested; maintains academic files on students in
- Assists in preparation of catalog changes and class schedule
and performs other clerical duties as required.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of university and college curriculum requirements.
- Knowledge of admissions and graduation procedures.
- Knowledge and skill in office procedures.
- Skill in public relations.
- Skill in both verbal and written communication.
Bachelor's degree in a field related to area of assignment; OR, Four
years clerical or related experience which includes two years
experience evaluating credentials or working with academic and
graduation policies; OR, Any equivalent combination of experience
and/or education from which comparable knowledge, skills and
abilities have been achieved.
Next: Student Activity Advisor Job Description