Free Resume Templates
How to Use the Resume Templates
- You may find a lot of templates here or from other
resume resources, just choose the best style for your needs.
- Any resume layout is for reference only because it can
also limit you. So before you are using any template, try to
craft your own first, even that your own is too rough and
Your Own Resume Layout
- Try to limit your resume in ONE page with balanced
information for each section (Education, Experience, etc.).
- Use bold, italics, font size, underline to emphasize any
information your want.
- It is not good to list your references on the resume.
Just input "References available on request.".
- Never use "I" or "My" or "Responsible for". Instead, try
to use action verbs.
- Sometimes a line is used to separate the heading from the
body of the resume. The line should be drawn with the borders
function and not entered by hitting the underline key. You want
the line to look like it was generated by computer graphics and
not by a dated typewriter.
- Heading: Name - large, bold typeface. - typically
Address(es) - For one address, it is typically listed under
the name. If using two addresses, one is typically set at
the left margin and one at the right margin under the name.
Some formats show the addresses in the "header" of the
document and some show the name on the left and the address
on the right - both are fine to use.
- Body: Typically no more than two different type faces
should be used for the resume. Use of bold, italics,
underline, bullets and ALL CAPS should be done judiciously
for emphasis – to give the resume depth.
o Size best is 11 pt (10 pt is also acceptable, 12 pt may
be too large)
o Type face it is best to use a basic font Times New
Roman and Arial are often used and are easy to read
- Once you select a style, be consistent, e.g. for dates
you may use names, abbreviations, or numbers for months;
just select one style and use it throughout.
- Set Margins - It is recommended that you set them at
maximums of 1.0" all around and for minimums: 0.75" for
the Top, Right, & Left; 0.5" for the Bottom - if you can
keep the top margin at 1.0", that will look the best.