Student Activity Advisor Duties and Responsibilities
Purpose of Classification:
Coordinates and facilitates student programs. Receives proposals
from students, makes recommendations for changes to programs and
assists with implementation. Ensures adherence to departmental and
university policies and procedures.
a specialized classification and not part of a series. Provides
services to students.
Examples of Duties:
- Serves as advisor to the activities board; evaluates student
proposals; makes alternative suggestions to programs; assists
with implementation of programs.
- Responds to community and athletic department requests for
promotional appearances; determines acceptance and denial of
requests based on availability; makes necessary arrangements to
fulfill request such as arranging for equipment and completion
of necessary paperwork.
- Ensures adherence by student organizations to departmental
and university regulations, policies and procedures; works
closely with student organizations.
- Coordinates reservation of rooms, catering needs, room setup
requirements, promotion of program and contracting requirements
for a variety of programs.
- Serves as liaison between students and activities board;
advises board regarding terms, conditions and implications of
co-sponsorships with student organizations.
- Assists with manual setup and dismantling of all program
events; attends student committee meetings and programs
presented by the Activities Board.
- Plans and/or participates in the activities board retreat,
seminars and workshops; develops leadership and learning
experiences and other learning programs for student
- Advises students regarding budgetary limitations, cost
projections and revenue generating ideas or methods.
- Attends local sporting and promotional events to observe
performance of student groups as well as individual performance
of team members.
- Arranges equipment and facility usage/setup for practices;
prepares necessary paperwork for cheerleading squad activities.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge and skill in program development and facilitation.
- Knowledge in leading student activities.
- Knowledge of supervisory practices and principles.
- Skill in both verbal and written communication.
- Skill in working with student organizations.
Bachelor's degree in Liberal Arts, Physical Education or related
field AND one year student service experience; OR, Five years
student service experience; OR, Any equivalent combination of
experience and/or education from which comparable knowledge, skills
and abilities have been achieved.
Next: Student Recruitment/Retention Specialist Job Description