Outreach Counselor Duties and Responsibilities
Purpose of Classification:
Provides targeted segment of student or community population with
specialized counseling services through facilitation and
coordination of counseling programs, workshops and support groups.
first in a series of two classifications and is distinguished from
the Outreach Counselor Senior in that incumbents counsel program
participants whereas the second level is responsible for program
development in addition to counseling.
Examples of Duties:
- Provides intake services for prospective or disabled
students or community program participants, which includes
initial assessment of disability and reviews financial and/or
academic support needs.
- Counsels program participants or students on personal,
academic or career issues; determines if additional counseling
is required; refers to sources such as support groups, workshops
or community resources as needed.
- Facilitates, coordinates and conducts workshops pertaining
to counseling programs; determines topics, speakers and
materials to be used; leads support groups.
- Determines eligibility of program participants and prepares
necessary paperwork and documentation for participation in
- Promotes program through public relations by composing and
coordinating the preparation of newsletters, flyers and
- Assembles information; prepares reports and statistical data
regarding counseling program.
- Assists in obtaining of funding for programs.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of techniques and principles of counseling.
- Skill in interviewing and counseling clients.
- Skill in both verbal and written communication.
Master's degree in Psychology, Counseling or related field AND one
year counseling experience; OR, Bachelor's degree in Psychology,
Counseling or related field AND three years counseling experience;
OR, Any equivalent combination of experience and/or education from
which comparable knowledge, skills and abilities have been achieved.
Next: Outreach Counselor Senior Job Description