Outreach Counselor Senior Duties and Responsibilities
Purpose of Classification:
Provides targeted segment of students or community population with
specialized counseling services through organization and
facilitation of counseling programs, workshops and support groups.
second in a series of two classifications and is distinguished from
the Outreach Counselor in that incumbents in this classification are
responsible for the development of counseling programs in addition
Examples of Duties:
- Coordinates the activities of subordinates.
- Develops and coordinates counseling programs such as job
search or peer counseling programs for a targeted group of
university or community population; assesses program needs;
organizes program material; evaluates program's success.
- Provides intake services for students or community program
participants, which includes initial assessment of disability
and reviews financial and/or academic support needs.
- Coordinates and conducts workshops pertaining to counseling
programs; determines topics, speakers and materials to be used;
leads support groups.
- Counsels program participants or students on personal,
academic or career issues; determines if additional counseling
is required; refers to sources such as support groups, workshops
or community resources as needed.
- Determines eligibility of program participants and prepares
necessary paperwork and documentation for participation in
- Assembles information; prepares reports and statistical data
regarding counseling program.
- Obtains or assists in obtaining of funding for programs;
writes grants; promotes fund raising in community.
- Provides information to community and/or university
regarding counseling program services by preparing and
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of techniques and principles of counseling.
- Skill in interviewing and counseling clients.
- Skill in counseling program development.
- Skill in both verbal and written communication.
Master's degree in Psychology, Counseling or related field AND three
years counseling experience; OR, Bachelor's degree in Psychology,
Counseling or related field AND five years counseling experience;
OR, Any equivalent combination of experience and/or education from
which comparable knowledge, skills and abilities have been achieved.
Next: Outside Ticket Sales Representative Job Description