Mason Duties and Responsibilities
Purpose of Classification:
building materials, including concrete and brick, and constructs or
repairs surfaces or structures. This is a journey-level
classification. Working conditions include restricted movement,
dirty environment, extreme temperatures, lifting or carrying heavy
a specialized classification and not part of a series.
Examples of Duties:
- Prepares surfaces prior to beginning work.
- Fabricates, alters, repairs, and maintains walls, sidewalks,
street curbs, floors, bathroom showers, sink counters,
partitions, manholes, and other related structures or surfaces.
- Lays blocks or bricks following blueprints, plans, or
- Determines work requirements and sequence of masonry/tile
assignments through review of work orders, plans, or drawings.
- Lays out work using chalk lines, plumb bobs, tapes, squares,
- Mixes cement using hoes, cement-mixing equipment, and/or
- Cuts or breaks bricks and concrete using hammers, powered
abrasive saws, paving breakers, drills, and/or hand tools.
- Molds expansion joints and edges using edging tools,
jointers, and straightedge.
- Operates equipment, such as forklift, dump truck, and
- Estimates materials and labor.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of related tools, masonry techniques, equipmen,t
- Skill in the construction, alteration, repair, and
maintenance of masonry structures and surfaces.
years' masonry or bricklaying experience; OR, Completion of a three
year federally approved technical training program in masonry or
bricklaying; OR, Any equivalent combination of experience and/or
education from which comparable knowledge, skills and abilities have
Next: Materials Facilities/Supplies Supervisor Job Description