Buyer Senior Duties and Responsibilities
Purpose of Classification:
Supervises the operations of laboratory facility services and/or
laboratory materials storeroom, which maintains and supports a wide
variety of laboratory and field programs. Items stocked in the
storeroom would include such things as scientific equipment,
chemicals and supplies.
a specialized class and not part of a series. Incumbents may be
required to work with hazardous chemicals.
Examples of Duties:
- Supervises the activities of subordinates.
- Plans, selects and devises work methods, work procedures,
workflow and standards for quantity and quality of work.
- Oversees or supervises the activity of those who provide
technical, renovation and maintenance support for operational
- Assists in development of the budget and monitors
expenditures to ensure compliance with budgetary guidelines;
prepares and maintains a variety of financial and merchandising
records and reports.
- Inventories and requisitions supplies and equipment;
establishes prices for items sold and bills appropriately.
- Ensures security for laboratory facilities.
- Monitors the receiving of shipments which involves unpacking
boxes and checking against packing slips and original order to
ensure entire order has been delivered; ensures that equipment
is transferred to correct laboratory.
- Monitors chemical waste program, ensuring that waste
materials are handled and disposed of in accordance with
- Oversees and/or performs preventative maintenance,
electronic and mechanical repairs on a variety of scientific
- Monitors the preparation and/or prepares chemicals,
solutions and reagents.
- Acts as safety liaison, advising faculty, staff and students
on the storage, usage and safe handling of chemicals ensuring
that safety procedures are followed in laboratories.
- Serves as a liaison for laboratory areas to outside vendors
and university departments including: Risk Management, Police
and Fire departments and Physical Resources.
- Coordinates remodeling projects and monitors associated
- Coordinates the design and lay out for remodeling or
building of new teaching and research laboratories; coordinates
electrical and plumbing requirements.
- Develops microcomputer programs to monitor and maintain
computerize storeroom records.
- Recommends major equipment and material purchases.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of the principles and practices of laboratory
- Knowledge of supervisory practices and principles.
- Skill in both verbal and written communication.
Bachelors degree in a field appropriate to the area of assignment
AND one year laboratory/research or related experience appropriate
to the area of assignment; OR, Five years of laboratory/research
experience appropriate to the area of assignment; OR, Any equivalent
combination of experience and/or education from which comparable
knowledge, skills and abilities have been achieved. Possession of a
current Arizona Class C driver's license may be required upon
Next: Materials Handler Job Description