Computer Operator Duties and Responsibilities
Purpose of Classification:
Monitors and controls computers and peripheral equipment according
to operating instructions. Selects and loads input and output units
with materials such as tapes, forms or paper for operating runs.
Observes machine and control panel on computer consoles for error
lights, verification printouts and error messages and machine
stoppage or faulty output. Incumbents in this class typically work
in a centralized computer center.
the first in a series of three classifications and, as the journey
level, gets direction or support for difficult problems from senior
operators or supervisors.
Examples of Duties:
- Analyzes console instructions, queries, error messages,
machine malfunctions, stops, schedules, programs and job control
language information to determine proper operating procedures.
- Informs systems and programming personnel of errors or
problems with job runs.
- Monitors and controls work flow through job queues and
console messages, as required or assigned, to ensure that
completion deadlines and production standards are met.
- Reviews production printouts and reports to ensure quality
standards are met.
- Operates supporting peripheral equipment as required.
- Answers telephone or assist users at counter with minor
computer programming problems or questions.
- Performs routine maintenance on computer hardware equipment
and updates appropriate records; replaces ribbons and forms;
cleans system following appropriate maintenance schedules and
- Runs duplicate tapes for placement in off-site storage
- Bursts, decollates and files output for proper distribution.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of the principles, practices, and techniques of
- Skill in following verbal and written instructions of a
technical nature to include the performance of arithmetic
year experience in the operation of computer equipment appropriate
to the assignment; OR, Any equivalent combination of experience
and/or education from which comparable knowledge, skills and
abilities have been achieved.
Next: Computer Programmer Assistant Job Description