Utility Piping Specialist Duties and Responsibilities
Purpose of Classification:
Installs, repairs, and maintains plumbing systems, including
performing complex and precision work related to utility piping
systems. Performs precision welding techniques in the design,
layout, fabrication joining, and repair of metals, piping, and
pressure vessels consistent with journey level skills.
a specialized and highly skilled journey level classification and is
the first in a series of two classifications. This level reports to
the Plumbing Supervisor. Working conditions include inadequate
lighting, extreme noise, dirty environment, restricted movement,
extreme temperatures, hazardous materials, and lifting and carrying
heavy objects up to 100 pounds.
Examples of Duties:
- Installs, repairs, and maintains chilled water, steam and
condensate return, water, gas, sewers, and other piping systems
as related to the production and distribution of utilities.
- Inspects joints, valves, pumps, boilers, and other utility
mechanical system components to locate malfunctions, repairs or
replacements as necessary.
- Designs, fabricates, joins, and/or repairs equipment,
piping, and various types of metals and structures using
oxygen-acetylene, electric arc, MIG and TIG welding techniques.
- Studies plans, drawings, specifications, and work orders to
determine work requirements and sequence of repairs or
replacement as required.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of and demonstrated skill in applying welding
standards as defined by current trade practice. Examples include
the American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME) or American
Society of Testing and Materials (ASTM) standards.
- Knowledge of the mechanical operation of equipment such as
pumps, boilers, cooling towers, and chillers.
- Knowledge of the tools, equipment, and materials common to
the plumbing and welding trades.
- Knowledge of applicable codes.
- Skill in the installation, repair, and maintenance of
plumbing and utility piping systems.
- Skill in the design, fabrication, joining, and repair of
metals, piping, equipment, and structures.
- Ability to effectively communicate.
- Skill in both verbal and written communication.
years of plumbing and/or mechanical-pipefitting systems experience;
OR, Any equivalent combination of education and/or experience from
which comparable knowledge, skills, and abilities have been
Next: Utility Piping Specialist, Lead Job Description