Television Producer/Director Duties and Responsibilities
Purpose of Classification:
Produces, directs and writes educational, instructional or public
interest material for on-air broadcast as assigned. Coordinates
activities of assigned staff during productions.
classification is the second level in a series of three
classifications and is distinguished from the Television
Producer/Director Senior level in that topics are typically assigned
by supervisor. Incumbents in this classification are required to
work within deadlines inherent to the broadcast industry.
Examples of Duties:
- Coordinates the activities of staff assigned to the
- Produces, writes and directs instructional videos,
promotional campaigns or public events programs including
editorial changes, techniques, graphics and conceptual design.
- Conducts necessary research to obtain information required
to develop the story or concept.
- Co-produces membership or fundraising campaigns according to
established concepts; produces and directs promotional breaks in
campaigns; schedules and trains on-air talent; compiles
statistics on effectiveness of the campaign and conducts
- Prepares necessary reports or maintains log of production
- Assembles and edits story, promotional segment or video to
ensure visual cohesiveness by assessing narrative and visual
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of broadcast rules and regulations.
- Knowledge of broadcast production techniques.
- Knowledge of equipment utilized in production and editing.
- Skill in both verbal and written communication.
Bachelor's degree in Broadcasting, Communications or related field
AND two years experience in writing/producing/directing programs in
studio and on location; OR, Six years experience in
writing/producing/directing programs in studio and on location; OR,
Any equivalent combination of experience and/or education from which
comparable knowledge, skills and abilities have been achieved.
Next: Television Producer/Director Senior Job Description