Telecommunications Technician Assistant Duties and Responsibilities
Purpose of Classification:
Installs and maintains all aspects of communication systems
including wire and cable, facilities and equipment, centralized and
distributed telecommunications systems and all peripheral equipment.
Provides technical system support and capabilities including, but
not limited to, installation, maintenance, modification and repair
of telecommunications equipment, products and/or systems. Technical
systems may be electro-mechanical or computerized and are typically
integrated with or interconnected to larger systems. Incumbents
typically perform work on-site and can be expected to apply
troubleshooting and diagnostic techniques to determine appropriate
restoration or repair actions.
first in a series of four classifications. It differs from the other
Telecommunications Systems Technician titles in that the tasks
performed are typically assigned by others, the work is not of a
Examples of Duties:
- Determines routing and placement of cabling and wiring.
- Performs physical installation of equipment.
- Moves or relocates and reinstalls equipment.
- Responds to trouble reports, performs trouble shooting
activities and repairs/replaces malfunctioning equipment and/or
- Ensures compliance with building and electrical codes.
- Documents and/or logs equipment/system installation and/or
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of communications wiring standards and
- Knowledge of telecommunications switching and common control
- Skill in the use of personal computers and software.
- Skill in both verbal and written communication.
Completion of two year technical training program in electronics,
communications, telephony, or industrial technology; OR, One year of
directly related telecommunications installation or modification
experience; OR, Any equivalent combination of experience and/or
education from which comparable knowledge, skills and abilities have
Next: Telecommunications Technician Principal Job Description