Stationary Engineer Duties and Responsibilities
Purpose of Classification:
Monitors, operates and maintains boilers and/or chillers and related
equipment. This is a semi-skilled classification. Working conditions
include extreme temperatures, intense noise, hazardous materials
and/or lifting or carrying heavy objects.
first in a series of two classifications. This classification
typically reports to the Central Plant Supervisor.
Examples of Duties:
- Monitors various gauges, gas and draft meters, pressure and
temperature indicators to verify operating conditions of
automatically fired boilers, chillers, compressors, motors,
turbines, and/or other related equipment.
- Prepares logs, charts, and reports of operating conditions.
- Cleans, paints, lubricates, services, and performs minor
maintenance adjustments necessary to ensure safe and economical
operation of all central plant equipment, and submits reports to
ensure efficient utilization of equipment and adherence to the
preventive maintenance program.
- Makes chemical analysis of water samples and adjusts amounts
of chemicals being used to protect equipment properly.
- Operates data center and computer to question or verify
specified operating conditions at various University facilities
as required; initiates corrective action in trouble or emergency
situations by notifying proper department or dispatching
appropriate personnel to site.
- Performs maintenance in disassembly, assembly, repair, and
cleaning of boilers, chillers or other related plant equipment
- Applies safety standards at all times and keeps work area
clean and orderly as to provide safe working conditions.
- Reports problems affecting plant safety to appropriate
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of boiler and/or chiller equipment, operation, and
- Skill in the use of hand tools of the trade.
- Skill in monitoring, operating, and maintaining boilers
years' experience in the operation of boiler and/or chiller
equipment and related systems; OR, Any equivalent combination of
experience and/or education from which comparable knowledge, skills,
and abilities have been achieved. Some positions in this
classification may require Chloroflourocarbons Certification upon
employment. Some positions in this classification may require a
Next: Stationary Engineer Senior Job Description