Social Worker Duties and Responsibilities
Purpose of Classification:
Counsels and provides guidance to individuals and/or families with
various social, medical, and/or psychiatric problems.
a specialized classification and not part of a series.
Examples of Duties:
- Interviews client to determine nature and degree of problem,
disability or illness and interprets data for other social or
health treatment agencies.
- Assists family members in understanding the clients' needs
and aids client and family in working out realistic functional
goals for client.
- Assists client and parents with problems concerning
relationships or other aspects of social functioning effected by
- Helps client and family members through individual or group
conferences to understand, accept, and follow medical
- Develops and writes informational material for educational
purposes; conducts workshops and educational sessions.
- Provides psychiatric social work assistance to mentally or
emotionally disturbed patients, collaborating with psychiatric
team in diagnosis and treatment plan.
- Plans discharge of clients.
- Assists in training university students on field placement
as a phase of their professional social work curriculum and
conducts in-service training for mental health personnel.
- Coordinates referral and evaluation of client to
interdisciplinary diagnostic teams; serves as case manager for
- Conducts psychosocial screening activities determining
required specialized psychiatric assistance.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of the principles, practices, techniques and
professional standards in the field of social work.
- Knowledge of community organizations and social service
- Skill in communicating effectively with a variety of people
of various socio-economic and educational backgrounds.
Master's degree in Social Work, Counseling, Psychology, Education or
related field; OR, Bachelor's degree in a behavioral science or
related field AND two years' experience working in a social service
field or related capacity; OR, Any equivalent combination of
experience and/or education from which comparable knowledge, skills
and abilities have been achieved.
Next: Sound Technician Job Description