Sales Assistant Duties and Responsibilities
Purpose of Classification:
Performs activities associated with selling, stocking and ordering
merchandise in a retail or sales operation. Incumbents in this
classification may be assigned to one or more specific merchandise
areas within an operation and work within established guidelines in
performing tasks. Difficult or unusual problems are typically
referred to supervisor.
first in a series of three classifications. It is distinguished from
the Sales Assistant Senior in that the senior level typically has
leadership responsibilities, requires specialized knowledge in a
particular area and/or performs a wider variety of functions.
Examples of Duties:
- Assists customers in locating merchandise and answering a
variety of questions concerning general merchandise;
demonstrates use of merchandise upon request.
- Stocks shelves, counters or tables with merchandise; keeps
merchandise orderly and neat in appearance.
- Totals prices and tax on merchandise selected by customer
using paper and pencil, cash register or adding machine; accepts
payment following established procedures for different types of
transactions; makes change; issues sales receipt; calculates
discounts when appropriate.
- Counts and balances cash register and receipts.
- Stamps or attaches price tags on merchandise and/or checks
tagged prices to verify accuracy referring to price list.
- Fills out specific forms to process transactions or special
orders such as refunds, jewelry, graduation gowns or
requisitions for university departments, among others.
- Checks inventory periodically to obtain reorder information
to replenish stock; informs designated staff member of needs or
places orders with outside sales representative within
- Checks inventory listing with actual inventory on shelf and
reports discrepancies to supervisor.
- Sets up promotional displays; makes signs or arranges
merchandise on counters or tables to promote sales.
- Trains new sales staff in basic operations and procedures.
- Cleans shelves, counters or tables.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of basic arithmetic.
- Knowledge of cataloging and inventory techniques.
- Skill in meeting and dealing with the public and customer
months' experience in sales and stocking merchandise; OR, Any
equivalent combination of experience and/or education from which
comparable knowledge, skills and abilities have been achieved.
Next: Sales Assistant Senior Job Description