Program Coordinator Duties and Responsibilities
Purpose of Classification:
Coordinates activities and functions of a designated program to
ensure that goals and objectives specified for the program are
accomplished in accordance with established priorities, time
limitations, funding limitations or other specifications. This
classification is intended for positions that have responsibility
for a particular program; the program provides a specific service or
carries out specific activities as a separate entity or as a
component program within a department, but it is not a department
first in a series of two classifications. Both positions perform
similar duties, but the Program Coordinator Senior is distinguished
from this classification as the duties are more independent, require
final decision making, affect a larger population, and create
greater impact and exposure. The Program Coordinator Senior also
coordinates programs of a wider scope, and has more complex fiscal
responsibilities including preparation, control and decision making
of the programís budget.
Examples of Duties:
- May coordinate, monitor or supervise the activities of
- Develops and recommends new or revised program goals and
- Develops and schedules program work plan in accordance with
specifications and funding limitations; oversees daily
operations and coordinates activities of program; determines
- Monitors and approves program expenditures ensuring that
budget allocations are not overspent.
- Prepares or assists in preparation of proposal for funding
and/or funding continuation from outside sponsors.
- Confers with and advises staff, students and others to
provide technical advice, problem solving assistance, answers to
questions and program goals and policy interpretation; refers to
appropriate department person when unable to respond.
- Coordinates activities of program with inter-related
activities of other programs, departments or staff to ensure
optimum efficiency and compliance with appropriate policies,
procedures and specifications.
- Prepares periodic reports, financial statements and records
on program activities, progress, status or other special reports
for management or outside agencies.
- Evaluates program effectiveness to develop improved methods;
devises evaluation methodology and implements; analyzes results
and recommends and/or takes appropriate action.
- Reviews applications or other program documents
independently or in conjunction with supervisor to determine
acceptance or make decisions pertaining to program.
- Recruits program participants, members and volunteers
utilizing most appropriate promotional or marketing methods,
such as individual letters, brochures or presentations at
- Develops, compiles and writes communications and promotional
literature for distribution such as newsletters, brochures or
flyers; coordinates process from development through printing
- Develops and facilitates workshops, meetings or conferences;
coordinates logistics, scheduling and participant
- Interacts and maintains liaison with students, faculty,
staff and outside/community agencies in facilitating program
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of issues pertaining to area of assignment.
- Knowledge of budgeting and accounting principles.
- Knowledge of organizational practices.
- Knowledge of supervisory practices and principles.
- Skill in organizing work of self and others.
- Skill in both verbal and written communication.
Bachelor's degree in field appropriate to area of assignment AND two
years administrative/coordinator program experience; OR, Six years
of progressively responsible administrative/coordinator program
experience; OR, Any equivalent combination of experience and/or
education from which comparable knowledge, skills and abilities have
Next: Program Coordinator Senior Job Description