Police Evidence and Property Technician Duties and Responsibilities
Purpose of Classification:
Receives, documents, stores, secures and releases all evidence in
control of police department. Issues, maintains and documents
disposition of police property to department personnel.
a specialized classification and not part of a series. Incumbents
are exposed to dangerous materials such as weapons or narcotics.
Examples of Duties:
- Receives and documents evidence and property materials; logs
and records data in accordance with established procedure.
- Labels, stores and secures property or evidence including
weapons and narcotics; provides access to authorized persons.
- Disposes of property after adjudication or written release
from officer by releasing to owner, destroying or selling
property according to established procedures; photographs
evidence before destruction as necessary.
- Receives lost and found property; tries to locate/notify
owner; documents and releases to owner after confirming
- Stores records according to set retention schedule, then
sends to state archives for permanent storage.
- Arranges transport of evidence to the state laboratory for
scientific examination and/or film development.
- Orders, stores and issues inventory of supplies and
equipment to personnel such as uniforms, weapons, ammunition,
radios and department forms.
- Maintains written log and makes arrangements for maintenance
and repair of department equipment.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of laws and procedures relating to the handling of
- Knowledge of material handling, storage and recording
- Knowledge of general vehicle and electrical equipment
- Skill in keeping complete, accurate records.
- Skill in both verbal and written communication.
year of experience in proper handling of evidence and storage,
distribution and accountability of materials, supplies and
equipment; OR, Any equivalent combination of experience and/or
education from which comparable knowledge, skills and abilities have
Next: Police Lieutenant Job Description