Photographer Duties and Responsibilities
Purpose of Classification:
Performs photographic duties in fulfillment of clients' requests for
visual representations of events, artifacts, commercial photography
or various other assignments as requested. Processes photos in
laboratory as required.
third in a series of five classifications. It is distinguished from
the Photographer Senior in that photographic assignments are for the
most part standardized and require less creativity.
Examples of Duties:
- Performs custom and specialized photography in-house or on
location using a variety of still cameras and other photographic
equipment; determines film type, camera setting, lighting
requirements and other specifications to ensure quality
- Develops films, makes color prints, enlargements and
projection slides to be used for publications, exhibits and
- Mounts slides and operates photographic equipment and slide
duplicating equipment to duplicate slides and filmstrips.
- Maintains print and negative file of photographs taken for
future use/reference; maintains files on client billings.
- Maintains inventory of various photographic supplies such as
chemicals and paper; orders supplies according to departmental
policies and/or budget constraints.
- Requisitions supplies according to department policies
and/or budget guidelines.
- Oversees work of Photographer, Assistants or Photo
Technicians; assigns work as needed; trains staff.
- May operate various graphic design equipment such as
cameras, graphic computers and printing and lettering equipment.
- Consults with clients to determine needs based on end use,
budget and time.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of techniques, principles and equipment of modern
photography including still, motion, color, and black and white
- Knowledge of film properties and their suitability for
generalized and specialized photography.
- Knowledge of basic computer operations and software.
- Skill in both verbal and written communication.
Associate's degree in Photography, Fine Arts, Journalism or related
field AND two years photography experience; OR, Four years
photography experience; OR, Any equivalent combination of experience
and/or education from which comparable knowledge, skills and
abilities have been achieved.
Next: Photographer Assistant Job Description