Pharmacy Technician Duties and Responsibilities
Purpose of Classification:
Performs physical activities related to the preparation and
distribution of prescription medications under the direct
supervision of a Pharmacist.
a specialized classification and not part of a series.
Examples of Duties:
- Counts out or pours medication using closely prescribed
- Enters new prescription or refill information into computer;
enters new prescription orders.
- Affixes labels for prescription medication.
- Accepts written authorized requests for new and refilled
prescriptions, medication, and prescription orders.
- Enters all orders into inventory computer system.
- Prepackages drugs in accordance with State of Arizona
- Accepts verbal refill authorizations from an authorized
medical practitioner or the authorized agent of that
- Files authorized prescription orders.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of the principles and techniques of the subject
- Knowledge of prescription interpretation.
- Skill in application of attention to detail.
- Skill in both verbal and written instructions, and
Certification from an approved Pharmacy Technician Program; OR, Two
years' pharmacy technology experience; OR, Any equivalent
combination of experience and/or education from which comparable
knowledge, skills, and abilities have been achieved.
Next: Phlebotomist Job Description