Office Assistant/Receptionist Duties and Responsibilities
Purpose of Classification:
Performs routine clerical and/or typing/word processing duties
related to work unit in accordance with specific instructions for
established work procedures requiring limited decision-making.
Advice and assistance to resolve problems or irregularities are
readily available from supervisor. Incumbents are given detailed
instructions on new assignments.
first in a series of four classifications. It is distinguished from
the Office Assistant Senior classification in that the work and
procedures are well-defined and work is checked for accuracy and
completeness, while the Office Assistant Senior typically has a
higher skill/experience level within assigned function and exercises
more independence in carrying out duties with less checking of work.
Secretaries perform many of the same type and level of duties as
incumbents in the Office Assistant series, but are distinguished by
the variety of tasks performed. Secretaries regularly perform the
full range of tasks, while incumbents in this classification are
typically assigned specific functions of less variety but larger
volume of these functions.
Examples of Duties:
- Answers telephone and greet visitors giving general
information in response to inquiries; delivers oral and written
messages to unit members.
- Sorts and distributes incoming mail.
- Files correspondence, memoranda, reports and other materials
alphabetically, numerically or by other prescribed method.
- Maintains routine clerical records, logs and data and
compiles routine reports.
- Operates office equipment such as copiers, calculators, word
processors, typewriters, data terminals, microfilm equipment or
other equipment found in work unit.
- Word processes/types routine letters, labels, reports and
similar items from rough draft or clear copy.
- Completes or enters data to departmental forms, making
routine calculations and checking information for accuracy.
- Processes documents or forms according to instructions.
- Delivers items to other offices or locations.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of office telephone etiquette.
- Skill in reading, spelling and simple arithmetic.
- Skill in following verbal and written instructions.
- Skill in basic filing and recordkeeping.
prior experience required.
Next: Office Assistant/Receptionist Senior Job Description