Mechanical Engineer Assistant Duties and Responsibilities
Purpose of Classification:
Engineers in the design, development, fabrication, modification,
installation, and/or testing of mechanical parts, components, and
first in a series of four classifications. Incumbents perform
assignments designed to develop professional work knowledge. They
receive specific and detailed instructions as to required duties and
results expected. Work is checked during progress and is reviewed
for accuracy upon completion. This level is designed for those with
a Bachelor's degree and no experience or the equivalent of a degree.
Examples of Duties:
- Supervises, and/or coordinates the work activities of
- Assists in the design and fabrication of mechanical
engineering projects, systems, or equipment.
- Performs engineering calculations by calculator or computer
to solve routine engineering problems.
- Assists in the development of engineering drawings including
plans and specifications based on calculations.
- Assists in the troubleshooting of systems and equipment and
performs repair under close supervision.
- Assists in the preparation of project presentations to
explain progress of project, which includes preparing routine
graphic illustrations, charts and drawings.
- Requisitions components and supplies for engineering
projects, interacting with vendors to obtain price and product
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of engineering principles and procedures.
- Knowledge of mechanical equipment and systems.
- Skill in both verbal and written communication.
Bachelor's degree in Mechanical Engineering or related field; OR,
Four years of Mechanical Engineering or related experience; OR, Any
equivalent combination of experience and/or education from which
comparable knowledge, skills and abilities have been achieved.
Registration as an engineer in the State of Arizona or proof of
eligibility for reciprocity is required.
Next: Mechanical Engineer Associate Job Description