Laboratory Coordinator Duties and Responsibilities
Purpose of Classification:
Oversees and coordinates operational activities in a teaching
laboratory or in a university-wide research and teaching animal
surgery facility, ensuring that experiments are set up and
functioning properly and that teaching assistants, researchers and
technicians know how to run the experiments and/or perform the
first in a series of three classifications. Incumbents may be
required to work with hazardous materials.
Examples of Duties:
- Assists faculty and/or researchers with planning the
experiments and/or surgeries, recommending supplies and
- Sets up, or coordinates students or staff who set up
laboratory experiments or surgeries, including equipment and
supplies; disassembles or supervises students or staff who
disassemble laboratory experiments or clean facilities after
- Assists faculty by preparing animals for surgery,
administering anesthesia and performing or assisting with
- Inventories, requisitions and restocks supplies for the
- Assists supervisor in the supervision and training of
Teaching Assistants and/or Technicians; answers questions
concerning experiments and/or surgeries and trains on equipment
usage and proper techniques.
- Attends meetings with faculty, researchers and/or Teaching
Assistants to discuss changes and modifications in laboratory
experiments and/or surgeries.
- Monitors equipment for proper functioning, performs minor
repairs and calibrations on equipment and contacts appropriate
party to perform major repairs.
- Maintains records of student grades and posts test scores.
- Ensures that the proper number of tests and handouts are
available for each laboratory.
- Maintains live animals or display in labs for teaching
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of the principles and practices of laboratory
- Skill in both verbal and written communication.
- Skill in coordinating the work of others.
Bachelor's degree in a field appropriate to the area of assignment
AND one year laboratory activities or related experience; OR, Five
years of laboratory activities or related experience; OR, Any
equivalent combination of experience and/or education from which
comparable knowledge, skills and abilities have been achieved.
Next: Laboratory Coordinator Senior Job Description