Irrigation Repairer Senior Duties and Responsibilities
Purpose of Classification:
Designs, programs, repairs, installs, and maintains underground lawn
second in a series of two classifications. This class differs from
the Irrigation Specialist in that it directs irrigation crews and
inspects work, designs, and lays out automated lawn sprinkler
systems, and has responsibility for entering data into the database
for the programming of daily schedules.
Examples of Duties:
- Coordinates the activities of subordinates.
- Sets, programs, and maintains times on computer and
electronic valve clocks; troubleshoots computerized electronic
systems, irrigation controllers, solenoid valves, and heads of
- Maps systems for campus-wide master plans using a
- Programs computer for daily-automated sprinkler schedules.
- Assigns and inspects the work of irrigation specialists;
initiates corrective action to secure satisfactory standards and
timely project completion.
- Plans and develops work schedules, equipment usage
schedules, and procedures for equipment maintenance.
- Maintains cost records, which may include time and material
costs; estimates irrigation design and repairs.
- Designs new and complex irrigation systems or may redesign
old irrigation systems.
- Maintains accurate landscape drawings manually or on
computer design system; maintains accurate records of water
usage to maximize water efficiency; reviews, approves, or
changes contract specifications.
- Coordinates with electrician, telecommunications staff, and
other appropriate departments/outside contractors in the design,
installation, and repairs of automated underground lawn
- Repairs and inspects lines, valves, and sprinklers on
underground lawn sprinkler systems; installs new drip and
sprinkler systems; removes old systems and recovers reusable
- Operates tractors and trenchers to install lines; may
operate various snow removal equipment and shovel snow and ice
from designated areas.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Comprehensive knowledge of ground maintenance.
- Comprehensive knowledge of computerized systems and time
clocks, electrical wiring and wire functions, blue staking
identification and trade-service support.
- Comprehensive knowledge of underground lawn sprinkler system
repair and installation techniques, and the design and redesign
of irrigation systems.
- Knowledge of mechanical maintenance, including electrical,
plumbing and carpentry.
- Knowledge and skills in telecommunication wiring and
- Skill in the repair and installation of underground lawn
- Skill in math sufficient to figure pipe flows, gallanges,
pipe sizing, friction losses, run times, systems efficiency,
spacing, and head selections.
- Ability to read blue prints.
- Skill in both verbal and written communication.
years of underground lawn sprinkler system repair and installation
experience, which includes one year of sprinkler system design and
inspection experience; OR, Associate's degree in Agriculture or
Horticulture AND three years' experience in the design, inspection,
repair, and installation of sprinkler systems; OR, Any equivalent
combination of experience and/or education from which comparable
knowledge, skills, and abilities have been achieved. Possession of
current Arizona Type D driverís license is required upon employment.
Next: Job Location and Development Coordinator Job Description