Human Resources Generalist Duties and Responsibilities
Purpose of Classification:
Provides professional human resource services to assigned Arizona
State University colleges/departments and employees including:
benefits, classification, compensation, employee relations,
employment services, ASU policies, and salary planning. Advises and
consults with managers on employee and human resources issues.
Advises managers on ASU policies and practices. Develops strong
partnerships with assigned colleges/departments in an effort to
positively influence organizational performance and results.
Communicates major human resources policies, practices and programs.
first of two classifications and is distinguished from the Human
Resources Generalist Senior by the level of expertise required and
the lesser scope and impact of the assignments. This position
requires less experience than the senior position, and may rely on
other generalists to fulfill work assignments.
Examples of Duties:
- Advises managers, supervisors and employees on human
resources policies. May assist in developing departmental
policies and practices that interpret and comply with university
policy. Escalates issues, where appropriate, to a higher level
authority within the unit for decision.
- Assists supervisors and managers with ADA issues and work
with Office of Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action in dealing
with ADA issues as appropriate.
- Counsels on benefits and leave programs as related to:
workers' compensation, short-term disability, long-term
disability, family medical leave (FMLA), and other leaves;
liaison with central Benefits staff.
- Advises managers and supervisors on
classification/compensation options available; assists in job
description development and modifications; conducts
organizational studies and desk audits; and performs Fair Labor
Standards Act (FLSA) determination.
- Assists departments with personnel/payroll related
inquiries; advises and assists on current departmental HR
procedures related to employee records; coordinates activities
and acts as liaison between departments and central HR staff.
- Advises and consults with employees and management on
employee relationís matters including: discipline process,
grievance procedure, organizational development interventions,
termination process, performance evaluation process, and appeal
process and referrals. Investigates problems, complaints, or new
ideas based on complete understanding and application of
recognized human resources' concepts, practices and techniques;
recommends to managers' corrective action, problem resolution,
or work improvements on major issues.
- Assists departments in developing recruitment strategies;
assists in the hiring process and employment law/legal issues;
may participate in Job Fairs/Community Outreach.
- Provides information and consultation regarding employment
issues, e.g. transfers, promotion/ demotion, reduction-in-force,
placement, independent contractor status, etc.
- In conjunction with assigned areas, may assist in
development, implementation and/or delivery of training.
- May work on or have lead on special projects or participate
as member of other teams.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of contemporary human resources principles,
practices and processes.
- Working knowledge of state and federal regulations affecting
- Skill in both verbal and written communication.
- Ability to work effectively with all levels of employees
while inspiring respect and credibility.
- Demonstrated ability to positively influence human resource
- Ability to perform multiple tasks in a complex operating
- Problem analysis and resolution skills.
- Effective teamwork and interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrated skill and ability to use mainframe (HRMS) and
Bachelor's degree in Human Resource Management, Business
Administration or related field and three years of professional
human resources experience; OR, Seven years of professional human
resources experience; OR, Any equivalent combination of experience
and/or education from which comparable knowledge, skills and
abilities have been achieved.
Next: Human Resources Generalist Senior Job Description