General Maintenance Supervisor Duties and Responsibilities
Purpose of Classification:
Supervises the general maintenance and repair/replacement of
buildings, property, furniture or equipment, and typically
supervises General Maintenance Mechanics and/or General Maintenance
fourth in a series of five classifications.
Examples of Duties:
- Hires, coaches, reviews, supervises, and terminates assigned
employees, or makes effective suggestions and recommendations
that are given particular weight regarding the employment status
of assigned employees.
- Manages or assists General Maintenance Supervisor in
managing the general maintenance and repair/replacement of
buildings, property furniture, fixtures, or equipment which
includes mechanical, plumbing, electrical, refrigeration,
carpentry, and painting repair and maintenance.
- Inspects buildings and property for inventory or maintenance
and repair purposes.
- Monitors all projects with regard to progress and cost.
- Estimates material and labor costs.
- Trains or supervises training of staff.
- Plans and develops work/staffing schedules, equipment usage
schedules, and procedures for work unit; coordinates and
monitors status of work requests.
- Ensures standards are maintained on work performed.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of supervisory practices and principles.
- Knowledge of general maintenance principles, practices and
- Skill in applying general maintenance principles, practices,
years of general maintenance and repair experience, which includes
one year of supervisory experience; OR, Associate's degree in
Business Administration AND five years of general maintenance and
repair experience which includes one year of supervisory experience;
OR, Any equivalent combination of experience and/or education from
which comparable knowledge, skills, and abilities have been
achieved. Some positions may be required to obtain an Environmental
Protection Agency Type 1 refrigeration license upon employment.
Next: Grant and Contract Coordinator Job Description