Engineering Aide Duties and Responsibilities
Purpose of Classification:
engineers and researchers by performing routine design work,
fabricating equipment, conducting a variety of tests, maintaining
and repairing equipment and instruments. Typically applies
principles, designs or procedures developed by engineers to
practical situations. Incumbents normally perform a combination of
mechanical, electrical and electronic work.
a specialized classification and not part of a series.
Examples of Duties:
- Assembles and/or constructs components, sub-units, models
and/or equipment and adapts standard equipment.
- Conducts a variety of tests or experiments, which may
require modifications in the test set up or procedures; sets up
and operates standard test equipment, calculates and records
- Inspects equipment, systems, and/or projects ensuring all
are operating properly and in a safe manner.
- Troubleshoots equipment and performs repairs and/or
schedules repairs of electronic, mechanical and/or electrical
equipment and/or instruments.
- Assists engineers and/or researchers in initial design and
development work by making sketches and rough layouts or
- Prepares layouts and drawings of the assembly process and of
parts to be constructed.
- Advises in installation, operation, and maintenance of
complex technical equipment.
- Inventories and requisitions components, materials and
- Prepares estimates for projected jobs and maintains cost
records on work completed.
- Leads the work of students by distributing and balancing
workload, demonstrating proper work methods, and providing on
the job training.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of science, engineering and mathematics.
- Knowledge of the appropriate equipment, tools and materials
to be used on the job.
- Knowledge of mechanical, electrical and electronic
Associate's degree in Engineering or related technical field AND
four years of instrumentation fabrication, maintenance and repair
experience; OR, Six years of instrumentation fabrication,
maintenance and repair experience; OR, Any equivalent combination of
experience and/or education from which comparable knowledge, skills
and abilities have been achieved.
Next: Enrollment Services Coordinator Job Description