Broadcast Promotion and Advertising Specialist Duties and Responsibilities
Purpose of Classification:
Promotes and advertises broadcast station by preparing program
guide, writing press releases, developing broadcast promotions,
creating concepts for newspaper coverage.
first in a series of two classifications and is distinguished from
the Broadcast Promotion and Advertising Specialist Senior in that
incumbents act as assistant to the Senior position and do not have
final responsibility for the end product. This classification is
required to work within established deadlines inherent to
broadcasting field. Typically reports to the Broadcast Promotion and
Advertising Specialist Senior.
Examples of Duties:
- Participates in preparation of monthly program guide or
other publications by gathering information, conducting
interviews, writing, editing and proofreading articles, taking
photographs and assisting with design and layout; confers with
other departmental personnel regarding content.
- Provides creative input into advertising campaigns including
print, video and outdoor advertising; produces and distributes
- Develops and maintains media contacts; generates story ideas
for press coverage; writes and distributes press releases to
various newspapers and magazines and follows up on distribution
to promote media coverage of locally and nationally produced
- Writes and produces daily broadcast promotion spots; makes
recommendations regarding frequency and effectiveness of
promotional spots. Reviews and revises network promotional
material and coordinates information provided by program
- Responds to listener and community requests for information.
- Researches, designs, produces, and coordinates the execution
of the prime-time station breaks.
- Participates in planning and implementation of special
publicity material for fundraisers and special event activities.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of television production techniques.
- Knowledge of broadcast rules and regulations.
- Knowledge of promotion and advertising techniques.
- Skill in creating and developing promotional concepts.
- Skill in both verbal and written communication.
Bachelor's degree in Communications or related field, AND one year
of experience in promotion and advertising; OR, Five years promotion
and advertising experience; OR, Any equivalent combination of
experience and/or education from which comparable knowledge, skills
and abilities have been achieved.
Next: Broadcast Promotion and Advertising Specialist Senior Job Description