Information Specialist Assistant Duties and Responsibilities
Purpose of Classification:
in producing journalistic materials for information dissemination,
i.e., prepares and edits information for presentation to the public
through various news media and publications.
first in a series of three classifications. It is distinguished from
the Information Specialist in that the second level has a greater
degree of expertise, responsibility and independence in performing
Examples of Duties:
- Assists in writing of news items and articles for various
- Assists in writing and editing of feature articles for
various university publications.
- Conducts interviews of subjects to gather essential
information and may research topic covered to better perform
information gathering and analysis functions, especially when
covering scientific or technical news stories.
- Assists in preparation of promotional or public relations
- Shoots photographs for special events or public relations
- Assists in maintaining publicity and clipping files.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of news reporting and editing principles,
practices and techniques.
- Skill in both verbal and written communication.
Bachelor's Degree in Journalism or related field; OR, Four years of
progressively responsible public information writing experience; OR,
Any equivalent combination of experience and/or education from which
comparable knowledge, skills and abilities have been achieved.
Next: Information Specialist Coordinator Job Description