Sample Legal Cover Letter and Tips
Use the following format when applying for a job; make sure to attach
Your Street Address
City, State Zip
Name of person to whom you are writing
Name of Organization
City, State Zip
Paragraph 1: Identify the position or type of work for which you are
applying and where you found job advertisement/opportunity.
Paragraph 2: Express the research you have done on the company and/or
industry and why it is interesting to you.
Paragraph 3: Divide into two columns. The left-hand column will be
titled “Job Requirements”; the right-hand column will be titled “My
Qualifications”. Use bullets for both columns. This information can
also be written in paragraph format, versus columns.
Paragraph 4: Your Contact Information.
Source: Jeanne Breisch, Senior Career Advisor, The Henderson Glenn
Group. Guest Presenter for Job Search Strategies Workshop, 2/15/05.
Legal Cover Letter Tips
- According to a recent study, 50% of hiring managers at Fortune
500 companies utilize cover letters as writing samples--devote as
much time to your cover letters as you do to your resume.
- Use care in sentence structure, spelling and punctuation: make
sure there are no mistakes.
- Use a standard business letter style; make sure you sign your
- Tailor each cover letter to each position and/or company.
- Keep copies of your letters for your records.
- Keep it short (no more than one page); you need not cover the
same ground as your resume. Your letter is an introductory summary
of what you have to offer.
- Do not call attention to lack of experience in certain duties.
Instead, emphasize valuable skills, transferable experience and