Heavy Equipment Operator Duties and Responsibilities
Purpose of Classification:
Operates equipment in the support of street and grounds maintenance.
This classification is a skilled position and requires more skill in
equipment operation, i.e. excavation near utilities. Working
conditions include restricted movement, intense noise, extreme
temperatures, dirty environment, lifting or carrying heavy objects.
second in a series of two classifications.
Examples of Duties:
- Operates heavy equipment such as cranes, graders, and
- Operates heavy equipment such as backhoes, front-end
loaders, street sweepers, forklifts, tractor-trailers, tractors,
boom, bucket, water, and dump trucks.
- Operates lawnmowers, jackhammers, chain saws, trenchers,
generators, compressors, tampers, rollers, cement saws, core
drills, augers, and sandblaster; uses hand tools.
- Services and performs general and preventative maintenance
- Transports and delivers materials.
- Installs and maintains signs and fencing.
- Performs street maintenance and grounds excavation work.
- May remove snow from streets, walks, and parking lots.
- May coordinate laborers and temporaries.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of heavy equipment operation techniques.
- Skill in heavy equipment operation.
- Skill in both verbal and written communication.
years of heavy equipment operation experience; OR, Any equivalent
combination of experience and/or education from which comparable
knowledge, skills, and abilities have been achieved. Possession of a
current Arizona Class A Commercial and Class D driver's license
Next: Horticultural Specialist Job Description