Editor Associate Duties and Responsibilities
Purpose of Classification:
writes and prepares materials for the printing of manuals, books,
manuscripts and journals for publication which may include on-line
or web-based materials.
second in a series of three classifications. It is distinguished
from the Editor, Assistant in that incumbents write articles and
manuscripts, confer with authors on substantive revisions and
editorial changes and coordinate related projects, such as book
design, proofing and generation of tables and illustrations.
Examples of Duties:
- Edits, writes and rewrites articles, short stories and book
manuscripts for publication.
- Confers with authors and other staff members regarding
editorial changes and revisions.
- Reads and evaluates manuscripts and ensures correct grammar,
consistency in style, readability and design.
- Coordinates galley and page proofing, book design, computer
disk transferal and the generation of illustrations, tables,
cartographic and indexes.
- Supervise, monitor or coordinate the activities of
- Researches and selects materials to be used.
- May develop and produce web-based materials.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of language skills necessary for editing, news
writing, and proofing of written material.
- Knowledge of publication format and editorial practices.
- Skill in organizing work and meeting deadlines.
- Skill the use of personal computers and related software
Bachelor's degree in Journalism, English or related field AND two
years of experience in editing, journalism or editorial research;
OR, Six years of progressively responsible experience in editing,
journalism or editorial research; OR, Any equivalent combination of
experience and/or education from which comparable knowledge, skills
and abilities have been achieved.
Next: Editor/Publisher Job Description