Accompanist Senior Duties and Responsibilities
Purpose of Classification:
Composes and provides musical accompaniment for dance classes,
performances and/or individual performers. Assists with scheduling
second in a series of two classifications and is distinguished from
Accompanist in that significantly more composing is involved.
Incumbents assist professors with their classes by writing and
grading quizzes, leading discussion and training new Accompanists.
Examples of Duties:
- Provides musical accompaniment for choral groups, dance
classes and individual performers during practice sessions and
- Plays from memory or by following score.
- Selects and arranges musical compositions.
- Composes and performs music for student choreography
- Assists with and participates in music classes by writing
and grading quizzes and leading small group discussions.
- Assists Music Director with scheduling of accompanists,
matching accompanist with needs of instructors.
- Provides work direction and guidance to new Accompanists.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of musical repertoire.
- Knowledge of musical arrangement and composition.
- Skill in playing appropriate instrument.
- Skill in following musical direction.
years experience in the selection and arrangement of musical
compositions; OR, Any equivalent combination of experience and/or
education from which comparable knowledge, skills and abilities have
Next: Accountant Job Description