Videographer Duties and Responsibilities
Purpose of Classification:
Videotapes and edits program material for university television
station and other university departments. Receives specific
instructions from a producer. Incumbents in this classification are
required to maintain a flexible work schedule in order to
accommodate evening and weekend shifts and travel to on-site
locations for taping.
first in a series of three classifications. It is distinguished from
the Videographer Senior in that the senior level handles more
difficult assignments requiring special lighting, numerous
locations, creativity, special audio needs or interviewing subjects
and/or coordinates the work of videographers.
Examples of Duties:
- Videotapes program material for production using video
camera equipment; makes technical decisions regarding such
elements as appropriate lighting, shooting angle and placement
and type of microphone; receives explicit instructions regarding
- Edits and assembles final visual/audio program material;
ensures consistency and relevancy to production; monitors
technical quality of end product.
- Assists a producer/director regarding preconceived ideas and
physical realities of production setting.
- Tests all equipment to determine technical quality of
recording, audio and lighting apparatus prior to operation in
- Oversees the security, operation and maintenance of
equipment utilized in shooting and editing.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of television broadcasting rules and regulations.
- Knowledge of field production techniques and standards.
- Skill in visualizing and shooting concepts effectively.
Bachelor's degree in Radio/TV, Film, Fine Arts or related area AND
one year experience operating video cameras and editing equipment;
OR, Five years experience operating video cameras and editing
equipment; OR, Any equivalent combination of experience and/or
education from which comparable knowledge, skills and abilities have
Next: Videographer Senior Job Description