Theater Scenery Specialist Duties and Responsibilities
Purpose of Classification:
Provides technical support for productions and/or special events.
Designs, constructs and oversees the construction of stage scenery.
Designs and installs lighting equipment. Supervises work of students
who assist with the technical aspects of a performance. Incumbents
also monitor the budget and may design special lighting and/or
special effects equipment. This classification requires a flexible
work schedule in order to meet the needs of each performance.
Incumbents may be required to lift heavy equipment.
second in a series of two classifications and is distinguished from
the Theater Technical Assistant in that designing and constructing
stage sets is a large part of the job.
Examples of Duties:
- Coordinates the activities of student workers.
- Consults with faculty to discuss desired theatrical
- Designs and constructs specialized stage scenery such as
stair units, furniture and flats, which includes the selection
of material, methods of construction and installation.
- Designs and installs special lighting and builds special
- Establishes circuits, troubleshoots and mixes front of house
- Hangs machinery or scenic equipment from a variety of
- Supervises students working in theater scenery construction
and/or lighting installation.
- Designs, constructs, repairs and modifies equipment such as
shelving, furniture, storage units and tables.
- Monitors the budget ensuring the expenditures stay within
- Maintains and repairs construction shop equipment.
- Ensures equipment is used in a safe manner.
- Inventories and requisitions supplies and equipment;
recommends purchase of new equipment.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Skill in supervising and coordinating the work of others.
- Skill in the use of hand tools and power tools.
- Skill in carpentry and construction techniques for building
- Skill in both verbal and written communication.
Bachelor's degree in Technical Theater or related field; OR, Four
years directly related experience; OR, Any equivalent combination of
experience and/or education from which comparable knowledge, skills
and abilities have been achieved. Possession of a current Arizona
Type D driver's license is required upon employment.
Next: Theater Technical Assistant Job Description