Textbook Area Supervisor Duties and Responsibilities
Purpose of Classification:
Supervises and controls the acquisition, sales and return of all
textbooks used at the university to the campus bookstore. Supervises
staff and operations of the textbook area of bookstore, which
includes operations in receiving, verifying, pricing and shelving of
a specialized classification and not part of a series. Typically
reports to Bookstore Director.
Examples of Duties:
- Supervises activities of subordinates.
- Coordinates book order requests with all university
departments/faculty each semester considering such things as
number of students, choice of vendors and resale estimates;
advises or confers with faculty regarding requests or book
orders and ensures orders are entered on computer.
- Prepares book orders by reviewing price, availability,
delivery and quantity to replenish or order new stock; contacts
vendors directly in purchase process.
- Sets up and monitors guidelines and operations in receiving,
verifying, pricing and shelving of books.
- Coordinates book returns and orders with wholesalers
including advertising for buy-backs and physical inventory of
books; determines most effective and profitable alternatives.
- Interprets and formulates changes in policies and recommends
to manager for implementation.
- Solves problems and handles customer complaints presented by
- Prepares regular and special reports, statements or forms
pertaining to textbook area activities.
- Establishes and monitors guidelines and timelines for
textbook department; determines order due dates, when to order
from wholesalers or publishers, how to set up textbook shelves
and required arrival dates for books.
- Participates in departmental goal setting.
- Schedules and coordinates all aspects of used book
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of supervisory principles and practices.
- Knowledge of purchasing practices and procedures as it
relates to the procurement of textbooks.
- Skill in both verbal and written communication.
Associate's degree in Business or related field AND three years'
purchasing or directly related experience, which includes one year
supervisory experience; OR, Five years' purchasing or directly
related experience, which includes one year supervisory experience;
OR, Any equivalent combination of experience and/or education from
which comparable knowledge, skills and abilities have been achieved.
Next: Theater Scenery Specialist Job Description