Telephone Information Operator Senior Duties and Responsibilities
Purpose of Classification:
and routes all telephone calls. Trains other operators. Assists
users with telephone services. Supervises telephone operators and
the second in a series of three classifications. The
responsibilities of this position are identical to those of the
telephone operator and include performing as a team leader,
coordinating and scheduling the activities of other operators. This
position requires strong verbal communication skills.
Examples of Duties:
- Coordinates the activities of other operators as needed.
- Operates telephone switchboard in order to answer incoming
calls; determines intent of caller and makes appropriate
- Receives and routes a variety of calls for general campus
information including complaints, emergencies, bomb threats and
- Assists in maintaining and updating telephone directories
when notified of changes in order to access correct information.
- Places long distance and conference calls for authorized
- Reports telephone equipment failures by completing necessary
paperwork and notifying appropriate telecommunications
- Maintains log of calls placed and any additional information
required for various reports or special projects.
- Acts as primary resource to other operators for problem
resolution, complaints and emergencies.
- Trains new telephone operators in performance of job duties
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of centralized automated telephone system.
- Knowledge of personal computers and operating system.
- Skill in the operation of telephone equipment.
- Skill in dealing diplomatically with the public under
- Skill in both verbal and written communication.
- Skill in leading/coordinating work of others.
years' experience operating a large automated telephone switchboard,
which includes one year leading experience and/or coordinating the
activities of others; OR, Any equivalent combination of experience
and/or education from which comparable knowledge, skills and
abilities have been achieved.
Next: Telephone Information Operator Supervisor Job Description