Telephone Information Operator Duties and Responsibilities
Purpose of Classification:
and routes all telephone calls. Disseminates information to callers.
Trains other operators. Assists users with telephone services.
the first in a series of three classifications. The primary
responsibilities of this position are to operate the telephone
switchboard including answering and routing calls, assisting users
with various telephone services and training other operators. This
position requires strong verbal communication skills.
Examples of Duties:
- Operates telephone switchboard in order to answer incoming
calls; determines intent of caller and makes appropriate
- Receives and routes a variety of calls for general campus
information including complaints, emergencies, bomb threats and
- Assists in maintaining and updating telephone directories
when notified of changes in order to access correct information.
- Places long distance and conference calls for authorized
- Reports telephone equipment failures by completing necessary
paperwork and notifying appropriate telecommunications
- Maintains log of calls placed and any additional information
required for various reports or special projects.
- Trains or assists with training new telephone operators in
performance of job duties.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of centralized automated telephone system.
- Knowledge of personal computers and operating system.
- Skill in the operation of telephone equipment.
- Skill in dealing diplomatically with the public under
- Skill in both verbal and written communication.
year's experience operating a multi-line telephone or switchboard;
OR, Any equivalent combination of experience and/or education from
which comparable knowledge, skills and abilities have been achieved.
Next: Telephone Information Operator Senior Job Description