Technology Support Analyst Senior Duties and Responsibilities
Purpose of Classification:
Provides support to users of information technology tools. Work
typically involves a combination of providing expert advice and
troubleshooting on one or more software products, administering and
maintaining shared-use systems, communicating with users and user
groups on technology topics, providing instruction, and evaluating,
recommending, and installing technological solutions to new problems
the fourth in a series of six classifications. Incumbents typically
have more in-depth or broad technical expertise than those do at the
third level, and they spend more time on independent analysis and
design of solutions to new problems or situations. Incumbents at the
fifth level typically are expert on, and lead support for, groups of
related products or for entire systems, and they spend more time on
assessing, planning for, and implementing new technology.
Examples of Duties:
- Maintains a high degree of technical knowledge and expertise
on one or more technology products through research, personal
use, vendor presentations, and training; leads support for the
product, including publicity, training, expert trouble-shooting
and advice, vendor interface, and advocacy.
- Evaluates and analyzes technology products and recommends
appropriate implementation to individual customers, groups of
customers, or for general use.
- Configures and installs server and network hardware and
- Acts as a technology liaison for one or more groups of
customers: understands the groupís interests and technology
needs, advocates for them inside and outside of the university,
maintains regular communications with them on technology topics,
helps with technology planning, and facilitates solutions to
- Develops and delivers instructional short courses on the use
of supported technology products, and provides personalized
instruction one-on-one to meet specialized needs.
- Uses applications software such as database management
systems, Web page development tools, desktop publishing tools,
and presentation tools to develop custom products to meet user
- Collaborates and teams with others on a variety of
technology and technology support projects.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Considerable knowledge of one or more technology products
sufficient to provide expert trouble-shooting and advice.
- Knowledge of a variety of relevant technology tools
sufficient to answer customer questions about use, to recommend
configurations to meet specific needs, and to solve a wide
variety of troubleshooting problems.
- Knowledge of process improvement methods and approaches.
- Skill in developing and delivering instruction.
- Skill in identifying and resolving problems with computer
hardware and software.
- Skill in using applications software to develop custom
- Considerable skill in communicating with and serving
customers in a positive and professional manner.
- Ability to work effectively in teams.
Bachelor's degree in technology or related field AND two years'
experience providing information technology services; OR, Six years
experience providing information technology services; OR, Any
equivalent combination of experience and/or education from which
comparable knowledge, skills and abilities have been achieved.
Certificates from recognized programs that indicate mastery of tools
and techniques relevant to the assignment may substitute for up to
six months of experience.
Next: Telecommunications Services Coordinator Job Description