Technical Director Duties and Responsibilities
Purpose of Classification:
Coordinates and ensures readiness of all technical elements of stage
production which include lighting, sound, scenery and equipment
requirements. This classification requires a flexible work schedule
in order to meet the needs of the department.
second in a series of three classifications and is distinguished
from the Technical Director Senior in that the Senior typically
supervises this level and manages preparation of technical elements
Examples of Duties:
- Coordinate the activities of subordinates.
- Coordinates the execution or executes the lighting and sound
systems; coordinates the design and/or designs lighting effects.
- Coordinates with artists or production representatives and
reads contracts to ascertain needs for the production;
determines feasibility and makes arrangements for special
staging, rental equipment, special effects, parking and
- Assists in determining staffing needs and scheduling crews
- Monitors budget for each event advising appropriate party if
approaching budgetary limit.
- Coordinates the state and equipment set up and the loading
and unloading of trucks.
- Recommends purchase of new or replacement equipment; orders
and obtains materials for production.
- Consults with program or stage chairpersons of amateur
organizations to coordinate production ideas and provide advice
regarding feasibility ideas.
- Oversees and maintains inventory on all items and equipment,
participates in ordering or orders supplies.
- Performs safety checks on equipment and facilities ensuring
safety guidelines are being met.
- Conducts backstage tours as required.
- Teaches production classes as required.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of stage management principles and practices.
- Skill in stage production methods and techniques.
- Skill in both verbal and written communication.
Bachelor's degree with a major in Drama or related field AND two
years of stage management and theater production experience; OR, Six
years of stage drama experience which includes three years of stage
management and theater production experience; OR, Any equivalent
combination of experience and/or education from which comparable
knowledge, skills and abilities have been achieved.
Next: Technical Director Assistant Job Description