Swimming Pool Operations Specialist Duties and Responsibilities
Purpose of Classification:
Coordinates and provides the necessary maintenance to preserve and
improve the mechanical and electrical operations of an aquatic
complex and adjoining or surrounding facilities by assuring precise
water chemistry, water temperature and the proper environment for
swimming activities. Operates and repairs all mechanical and
electrical equipment associated with the aquatic facility. Manages
an operations budget for pool chemicals and supplies.
second in a series of two classifications and is distinguished from
the Swimming Pool Attendant by the involvement in planning and
scheduling maintenance related activities including the precise
analysis of pool chemical disbursement.
Examples of Duties:
- Responsible for maintaining proper swimming pool water
chemistry including calibration and adjustment of the chemical
dispensers; maintains chlorine, acid and caustic soda pumps;
tests water quality; adds chemicals as needed.
- Inspects aquatic equipment, including pumps, small and large
motors, chlorinators, pipes, valves and gauges, backwash
filters, steam valves and exchangers.
- Installs and replaces pipe, tubing, large and small motors,
chemical dispensers and underwater light fixtures.
- Installs, replaces and rebuilds a variety of valves, to
include ball valves, butterfly valves, clay valves and electric
- Ensures maintenance of pumps, small and large motors, pipes
and valves, pool filtering equipment including water pumps,
chemical dispenser systems and chlorine gas chlorinators.
- Coordinates the handling and installation of one ton
chlorine gas cylinders.
- Inspects, maintains and repairs water slides, diving boards,
diving towers and other pool related equipment.
- Maintains pool surfaces and decking to include re-grouting
ceramic tile, plaster patch and painting and performs acid
washes as necessary.
- Authorizes the purchase of all swimming pool chemicals and
supplies; maintains all inventory records; assists in the
selection and purchase of pool related equipment.
- Performs related duties as required.
- May supervise and coordinate the activities of subordinates.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of water treatment equipment maintenance and
- Knowledge in the practical application of plumbing,
electrical and pneumatic repair techniques.
- Knowledge of the handling of caustic materials, i.e., gas
chlorine, hydrochloric acid, sodium hydroxide and other related
- Knowledge of pool chemistry.
- Knowledge of safe and proper handling, use and storage of
- Ability to utilize Self-Contained Breathing Apparatus (SCBA).
- Ability to demonstrate physical capability to perform all
aspects of job.
years of experience in maintenance and repair of an aquatic
facility; OR, Any equivalent combination of education and/or
experience from which comparable knowledge, skills and abilities
have been achieved.
Next: Systems Programmer Job Description