Support Systems Analyst Senior Duties and Responsibilities
Purpose of Classification:
Consults with and advises computer users in the use of specialized
and highly technical software packages, programming languages and
the second in a series of three classifications. It is distinguished
from the Support Systems Analyst in that incumbents typically serve
as support leaders for particular packages or services and/or have
specialized knowledge and skills in particular areas of computing.
This level may lead others.
Examples of Duties:
- Coordinates with users via telephone or in person regarding
the use of software packages and equipment; assists with
software package applications or programs; identifies, reviews
and recommends software and/or equipment to meet user needs;
answers questions or resolves problems.
- Coordinates with users in determining feasibility of
accomplishing proposed work functions or processes by computer
- Provides direction and technical control of projects;
evaluates progress and corrects programs as needed.
- Writes, updates and/or reviews detailed user documentation
and manuals for applications; distributes or arranges
distribution of documentation.
- Installs and/or assists in installation of software packages
and/or equipment to include configuration of software/hardware.
- Plans, schedules, coordinates, develops and implements
computer training services for campus users.
- Writes articles, news releases and on-line help messages to
notify customers of new releases, system changes, updates or
innovative ways of using software.
- Reviews and analyzes new and revised system specifications
for completeness and compatibility with present software
applications and system capabilities.
- Reviews user manuals and computer listings to debug
programs, interpret abnormal terminations or other inoperable
situations and correct system problems.
- Illustrates the flow of information in existing or proposed
applications and prepares specifications and associated
- May coordinate the work activities of subordinates.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of the principles and practices of applications
- Knowledge of computer operating procedures and techniques.
- Knowledge of the languages of computer programming relevant
to the assignment.
- Skill in coordinating the work of others.
- Skill in the use of programming and job control languages
specific to the assignment.
- Skill in both verbal and written communication.
Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or related field AND three
years' systems and/or programming experience; OR, Associate's degree
in Computer Science or related field AND four years' systems and/or
programming experience; OR, Five years of systems and/or programming
experience; OR, Any equivalent combination of experience and/or
education from which comparable knowledge, skills and abilities have
Next: Surplus Property and Recycling Manager Job Description