Student Recruitment/Retention Specialist Senior Duties and Responsibilities
Purpose of Classification:
implements and evaluates continuing and new programs to recruit
and/or retain targeted groups of students including but not limited
to minority, international, high school, and community college
students. Provides admissions information and services to
second in a series of two classifications and is distinguished from
the lower level in that incumbents are involved in planning and
developing objectives, policies and procedures.
Examples of Duties:
- Identifies target populations; develops visitation schedules
in-state and/or out-of-state and visits target schools, agencies
or conferences to meet with prospective students, counselors and
administrators; discusses university program offerings and
answers questions concerning curriculum, enrollment procedures
and/or student life.
- Disseminates informational material to prospective and/or
continuing students such as admission, housing and financial aid
applications; assists students with completion of forms and
reviews to ensure accuracy, authenticity and timeliness of
information and required documents.
- Interviews prospective students and/or parents on an
individual basis and answers questions, compares educational
systems, discusses their academic credentials and provides
admissions information and assistance.
- Plans and organizes on-campus recruitment programs for
prospective students; plans agenda, speakers and length of
workshops and coordinates transportation.
- Plans and develops objectives for recruitment/retention
purposes and participates in policy and procedure development.
- Represents the program by giving presentations at various
activities such as college fairs and community meetings.
- Develops recruiting materials such as letters, flyers and
- Improves student retention rate by tracking progress of
students through program and counsels students regarding
personal and/or academic issues; refers to other sources of
counseling as needed.
- Prepares reports documenting activities.
- Serves as liaison between various departments or agencies
and the student, clarifying procedures and practices.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of academic institutions and academic curriculum
- Knowledge of the principles and practices of recruiting
- Knowledge of admissions policies and procedures.
- Knowledge of diverse populations and cultures.
- Skill in both verbal and written communication.
Bachelor's degree in Education, Business Administration or a related
field AND Two (2) years experience in admissions, recruitment or
retention; OR, Six (6) years of experience in admissions,
recruitment or retention; OR, Any equivalent combination of
experience and/or education from which comparable knowledge, skills
and abilities have been achieved.
Next: Student Services Assistant Job Description