Student Recruitment/Retention Specialist Duties and Responsibilities
Purpose of Classification:
Provides information and assistance regarding post-secondary
education to targeted groups. Counsels and advises students in
career and vocational choices for the purpose of recruitment and
retention. Assists students in completion of university applications
and financial aid forms.
first in a series of two classifications and is distinguished from
the Student Recruitment/Retention Specialist Senior in that the main
emphasis is on career counseling and incumbents do not typically
take part in development of objectives, policies and procedures.
Examples of Duties:
- Counsels and guides students in career exploration;
administers and interprets vocational and interest inventory
tests; helps students choose appropriate programs of study.
- Obtains necessary information for students and assists with
completion of complex admission and financial aid forms; serves
as liaison between students and financial aid office in order to
clarify various policies and financial aid procedures.
- Conducts workshops of presentations for students or
organizations pertaining to financial aid, career assessment,
admissions information, goal setting, study skills,
communication skills and value clarification.
- Documents students' visits and maintains appropriate files;
provides statements of services provided and specifics on
- Reviews students' progress; follows up on progress through
personal contact and correspondence.
- Counsels students regarding personal issues and problems;
refers to other sources of counseling as needed.
- Assists in development of recruitment and promotional
materials, such as letters and flyers; determines when to send
literature and prepares mailing list.
- Prepares monthly or ad hoc reports on counseling statistics
- Assists in organizing career days, campus tours and various
other events for prospective students.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of techniques and principles of counseling.
- Skill in interviewing.
- Skill in both verbal and written communication.
Bachelor's degree in Social Sciences, Education or related field AND
one year recruitment/retention, admissions or related experience;
OR, Five years recruitment/retention, admissions or related
experience; OR, Any equivalent combination of education and/or
experience from which comparable knowledge, skills and abilities
have been achieved. Possession of a current Arizona Type D drivers
license upon employment.
Next: Student Recruitment/Retention Specialist Senior Job Description