Stationary Engineer Senior Duties and Responsibilities
Purpose of Classification:
Monitors, operates and maintains boilers and/or chillers and related
equipment. This is a journey level classification. Working
conditions include extreme temperatures, intense noise, hazardous
materials and/or lifting or carrying heavy objects.
second in a series of two classifications. This classification
typically reports to the Central Plant Supervisor.
Examples of Duties:
- Acts in a lead capacity as circumstances warrant.
- Inspects equipment and corrects problems to ensure the safe
and economical operation of all central plant equipment, and
submits reports to ensure efficient utilization of equipment and
adherence to the preventive maintenance program.
- Cleans, lubricates, services, and performs maintenance and
repair of all central plant equipment such as replacing and/or
re-packing bearings and valves, repairing lines, and rattling
- Overhauls, disassembles, and reassembles pumps such as feed
water, transfer, condense, vacuum, and chemical pumps; checks
for wear using micrometers and dial indicators.
- Overhauls screw and reciprocating air compressors to include
the removal of pistons, valves, and connecting rods.
- Troubleshoots and repairs electric and pneumatic boiler
- Monitors various gauges, gas and draft meters, pressure and
temperature indicators to verify operating conditions of
automatically fired boilers, chillers, compressors, motors,
turbines and/or related equipment and adjusts controls to
specified operating conditions.
- Prepares logs, charts, and reports of operating conditions.
- Makes chemical analysis of water samples and adjusts amounts
of chemical being used to protect equipment properly.
- Operates data center and computer to question or verify
specified operating conditions at various University facilities
as required; initiates corrective action in emergency situations
by notifying proper department or dispatching appropriate
personnel to site.
- Applies safety standards at all times and maintains good
housekeeping practices to provide safe working conditions;
reports problems affecting plant safety.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of boiler and/or chiller equipment, operation, and
- Skill in the use of hand tools of the trade.
- Skill in monitoring, operating and maintaining boilers
years' experience in the operation of boiler and/or chiller
equipment and related systems which includes two years experience in
the maintenance and repair of boilers and/or chiller equipment and
related systems; OR, Completion of a four year federally approved
technical training stationary engineer program AND two years of
experience in the maintenance and repair of boilers and/or chiller
equipment and related systems; OR, Any equivalent combination of
experience and/or education from which comparable knowledge, skills,
and abilities have been achieved. Some positions in this
classification may require Chloroflourocarbons Certification upon
employment. Some positions in this classification may require a
current Arizona driver's license upon employment.
Next: Stock/Inventory Assistant Job Description