Space Planner Duties and Responsibilities
Purpose of Classification:
Maintains space utilization data and facilities inventory on an
automated or computerized system. Analyzes and reports on space
first in a series of three classifications and is distinguished from
the Space Planner Senior in that Space Planners are more closely
supervised and do not perform in-depth analysis or have the decision
making authority of the Space Planner Senior. Incumbents in this
classification perform work in a variety of settings involving
office buildings, classrooms, research facilities, and centralized
computer center facilities.
Examples of Duties:
- Obtains current information for the facilities inventory;
enters new and revised information into computerized or
- Assigns or classifies space according to pertinent standards
- Provides information or reports on current room utilization
- Maintains information or data on new construction,
renovations, and various remodeling.
- Conducts space feasibility and utilization studies and
prepares reports on findings.
- Maintains detailed space utilization data and inventory.
- Researches and compiles data for various reports; assists in
the preparation of comprehensive, highly technical, or complex
reports and analyses.
- Recommends changes in space assignment and facilities
inventory processing to supervisor.
- Assists management in identification of problems, trends, or
future space needs and makes recommendations.
- Works closely with others to plan room layout, to include
furniture, equipment, telecommunications, or other pertinent
- Coordinates change in facility environment and support
systems; notifies management of trends or problems; tracks and
ensures resolution of problems.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of space management computer applications.
- Knowledge of space utilization and facilities management.
- Skill in analyzing and determining space utilization and
- Skill in both verbal and written communication.
Bachelor's degree in Business Administration or related field; OR,
Four years of facilities space management or directly related
experience; OR, Any equivalent combination of experience and/or
education from which comparable knowledge, skills and abilities have
Next: Space Planner Senior Job Description