Sheetmetal Technician Duties and Responsibilities
Purpose of Classification:
Fabricates installs and repairs HVAC sheetmetal, plastic, or
fiberglass products or equipment.
first in a series of two classifications and is a journey level
classification. Working conditions include restricted movement,
dirty environment, air contamination, intense noise, hazardous
materials, or lifting or carrying heavy objects. This classification
typically reports to the HVAC Assistant of HVAC Supervisor.
Examples of Duties:
- Prepares sketches, drawings, and layouts.
- Fabricates, installs, or repairs air-ducts, grills, vents,
downspouts, exhaust systems and hoods, containers, filing cases,
cabinets, lockers, counters and other related equipment,
structures, or objects.
- Operates sheetmetal forming machines, shears, brakes,
folders, bending rolls, cutters, crimpers, punch and drill
presses, and a variety of hand tools.
- Operates soldering and welding equipment in the fabrication
or repair of sheetmetal or plastic equipment, structures, or
- Analyzes plans, drawings, specifications, pattern layouts,
and work orders to determine work requirement and sequence of
- Performs mathematical and geometrical calculations for
preparation of working sketches, drawings, and layouts as
- Fabricates and installs fiberglass reinforced plastic duct.
- Performs complex design installation, fabrication, repair
and modifications of various facility systems.
- Installs and repairs, the facility laboratory hood exhaust
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of welding techniques.
- Knowledge of fabrication, installation, and repair of
sheetmetal and related products or equipment.
- Knowledge of Sheet Metal and Air Conditioning Contractos
National Association, Inc. and American National Standards
Institute standards, and Mechanical and Building Code
years of sheetmetal experience; OR, Any equivalent combination of
education and/or experience from which comparable knowledge, skills
and abilities have been achieved. Some positions may require:
possession of a current Arizona driverís license upon employment.
Next: Shop Superintendent Job Description