Scientific Glassblower Duties and Responsibilities
Purpose of Classification:
Designs, plans, shapes, and joins glass using off-hand and lathe
glass-blowing techniques in fabricate laboratory apparatus. Consults
with clients regarding design and cost estimation. This is a skilled
position. Working conditions include constructed movement, dirty
environment, air contamination and/or hazardous materials.
second in a series of two classifications.
Examples of Duties:
- Designs, fabricates, installs, maintains, and troubleshoots
ultra high vacuum systems.
- Consults with clients regarding design specifications and
- Constructs related vacuum apparatuses including manometers,
vacuum traps, vacuum manifolds, and gas handling systems.
- Constructs precision metal in glass apparatuses, such as gas
discharge tubes and distillation columns using tungsten and
- Maintains, repairs or replaces glassware on existing
equipment such as rotary evaporators, assorted high purity water
skills, and NMR vacuum chambers; grinds and hand laps glass to
be used in fabrication and for precision fit.
- Constructs distillation, sublimation, extraction,
filtration, and reaction apparatuses along with gas
chromatography coils and liquid chromatography columns.
- Constructs quartz and Vycor (high temperature) apparatuses,
which includes furnace tubes, combustion boats, optical cells,
ESR transfer dewars, sample tubes, fiber optics, quartz to Pyrex
graded seals, and large quartz combustion tubes used in
- Designs equipment to increase production capabilities,
including fixtures and holders, burners and mounting hardware,
and safety equipment.
- Maintains oxygen and hydrogen manifolds and cylinders.
- Performs routine maintenance and upkeep of glass containing
- Silver coats glass surfaces or utilizes opaque treatment
procedures for vessels used in light sensitive reactions.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of cost estimating techniques.
- Knowledge of glassblowing techniques, materials, tools, and
- Knowledge of chemistry and physics.
- Skill in following blueprints, drawings, sketches, and
- Skill in applying glassblowing techniques.
- Skills in working with non-glassblowers to accurately define
end users needs.
years of glass shop experience, which includes extensive experience
in non-production glassblowing and in the production of multi
component apparatus; OR, Any equivalent combination of experience
and/or education from which comparable knowledge, skills and
abilities have been achieved.
Next: Secretary Job Description