Residence Hall Assistant Director Duties and Responsibilities
Purpose of Classification:
as assistant to a Residence Hall Director, counseling students,
advising Resident Assistants, supervising desk operation staff and
ensuring needed repairs are reported.
first in a series of two classifications and typically reports to a
Residence Hall Director. Incumbents are required to live in the
residence hall. This classification requires a flexible work
schedule in order to meet the needs of the student residents.
Examples of Duties:
- Coordinates the activities of subordinates.
- Counsels, advises and provides appropriate referrals for
student residents in need of professional services.
- Performs duties such as assigning student rooms, scheduling
student employees and preparing payroll documents.
- Provides direction to Resident Assistants on program
planning and implementation; advises and guides student
organizations such as Hall Council.
- Refers facilities maintenance problems to appropriate
person; follows-up to ensure work is completed.
- Prepares reports and records to show occupancy rates,
programming plans and student statistical data.
- Participates in residence life and/or university committee
- Tours facilities to ensure building security.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Skill in both verbal and written communication.
- Skill in coordinating the work of others.
- Skill in preparing detailed reports.
Bachelor's degree in Behavioral Science or related field AND two
years residence hall experience; OR, Six years residence hall
experience; OR, Any equivalent combination of experience and/or
education from which comparable knowledge, skills and abilities have
Next: Residence Hall Director Job Description