Research Nurse Senior Duties and Responsibilities
Purpose of Classification:
Coordinates and oversees clinical or field operation of medical
research projects. Participates in assessing, planning,
implementing, and evaluating patient care in clinical research
second in a series of two classifications and is distinguished from
the Research Nurse in that incumbents participate in protocol
development, design forms, write patient educational material and
may assist in the writing and presentation of manuscripts. This
classification supervises Research Nurses when assigned. Incumbents
may be required to travel as some of the testing may be performed in
participant's home. Incumbents work with bio-hazardous material such
Examples of Duties:
- Supervises and coordinates the work activities of Research
Nurses when assigned.
- Participates in protocol development by drafting study
protocols and/or reviewing potential protocols to evaluate their
effect on standard nursing procedures; submits to Human Subjects
Committee for approval.
- Prepares project approval forms necessary for submission to
appropriate committees; designs informed consent forms.
- Recruits study participants by referrals or by placing
advertisements on television, radio, or in newspapers; schedules
appointments; interviews and evaluates potential participants to
ensure they meet eligibility requirements; instructs
participants concerning protocol and obtains consent signature.
- Schedules and/or coordinates the scheduling of required
laboratory tests and/or exams.
- Provides direct patient care involving diagnosis,
administering medication, and performing tests such as pulmonary
function, electrocardiograms, and allergy tests.
- Coordinates and/or performs physical assessments required by
protocol, such as tumor measurements, neurological checks, and
blood pressure reading.
- Evaluates and develops patient educational materials and
gives patient and/or family members instructions on drug
administration and other medical information.
- Trains, oversees, and provides current patient information
to nurses and other health care personnel in order to assure
comprehensive patient care.
- Completes case report forms for each study participant and
documents medical data in patient record.
- Prepares financial records including quarterly reports,
budget, and patient related expenses.
- Assesses participants for evidence of drug toxicity,
unexpected side effects, or other problems and notifies
principal investigator; recommends dosage adjustments.
- Assists physician and/or principal investigator in writing
manuscripts for publication and/or presentation of materials at
- Inventories and requisitions supplies and equipment;
arranges for repair and maintenance of equipment.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of supervisory practices and principles.
- Knowledge of the principles, practices and techniques of
- Knowledge of data management techniques.
- Skill in coordinating the work of others.
- Skill in both verbal and written communication.
- Skill in medical assessment techniques.
- Skill in maintaining detailed records.
Bachelor's degree in Nursing from an acredited nursing program AND
two years of professional nursing experience; OR, Any equivalent
combination of education and/or experience. Current licensure to
practice as a Registered Nurse in the State of Arizona.
Next: Research Technician Job Description