Production Technician Duties and Responsibilities
Purpose of Classification:
a director in a variety of functions including communicating
instructions, setting up, operating and maintaining production
equipment, fabricating props and arranging sets and performing
similar responsibilities for remote field production or assists in
writing, reporting and editing field segments for air on a news or
news magazine program.
a specialized classification and not part of a series. It may be a
training position to prepare individuals for future career positions
in broadcasting if so designated. Maximum time in position will be
two years, with no obligation to place trainee in a permanent staff
Examples of Duties:
- Assists director for various programs by communicating
instructions/direction from director to performers and
performing ancillary duties as requested.
- Serves as videographer or cameraperson on remote coverage or
in the studio.
- Serves as floor manager by relaying information to/from
studio to/from director in control room via hand signals or
audio head sets during rehearsals and shooting; ensures
instruction are carried out.
- Serves as technical director by operating control board in
- Performs pre-production work such as setting up microphones,
arranging sets, preparing copy and performing related clerical
- Fabricates props and sets for television production.
- Sets up equipment required for production; performs routine
repairs or reports malfunctions to appropriate staff; properly
stores equipment after use.
- Operates and maintains a variety of production equipment
such as teleprompters, videotape recorders, audio equipment and
- Assists, or under supervision, reports, produces, directs,
edits and writes educational instructional or public interest
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of production equipment.
- Knowledge of technical media production activities.
- Skill in both verbal and written communication.
Bachelor's degree in Media Arts, Mass Communications or related
field AND one year of experience in a Television/Broadcast related
areas; OR, Five years of Television/Broadcast related experience;
OR, Any equivalent combination of experience and/or education from
which comparable knowledge, skills and abilities have been achieved.
Next: Program Aide Job Description