Plumber Duties and Responsibilities
Purpose of Classification:
Installs, repairs, and maintains plumbing systems. Working
conditions include inadequate lighting, restricted movement, dirty
environment, air contamination, extreme temperatures, intense noise,
hazardous materials, or lifting or carrying heavy objects.
first in a series of four classifications and is a journey level
classifications. This level typically reports to the Plumber Lead.
Examples of Duties:
- Installs, repairs, and maintains chilled water, steam, heat,
water, gas, drainage, sewage, and other plumbing systems.
- Operates reamers, threading discs, sewer tapes, pipe
cutters, snakes, and other plumbing equipment and hand tools.
- Inspects joints, valves, pumps, boilers, heaters, sinks,
commodes, tanks, valves, and other plumbing system components to
locate malfunctions, and repairs or replaces when necessary.
- Studies plans, drawings, specifications, and work orders to
determine work requirements and sequence of repairs and/or
- Performs preventative maintenance work as required.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of the tools, equipment, and materials common to
the plumbing trade.
- Knowledge of applicable plumbing codes.
- Knowledge of the mechanical operation of equipment such as
pumps, boilers, heaters, and other plumbing components.
- Skill in the installation, repair, and maintenance of all
types of plumbing systems.
years of plumbing experience; OR, Any equivalent combination of
experience and/or education from which comparable knowledge, skills,
and abilities have been achieved.
Next: Plumber Lead Job Description